Appeal order apdx 4, Demjanjuk John



Of Interrogation of Witness

18 March 1978

City of Zaporozh’ye

On instructions from the Procuratorate of the USSR
concerning the request made by organs of Justice of the USA,
and in accordance with the requirements of Article 85, 167
and 170 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the Ukrainian
SSR, Senior Investigator of the Procuratorate of the
Zaporozh’ye Region and Senior Councillor of Justice
Litvinenko interrogated as witness:

MALAGON, Nikolay Petrovich, born in 1919, native and [**83]
resident of the village of Novo-Petrovka, Berdyansk
district, Zaporozh’ye Region, citizen of the USSR,
Ukrainian, manual worker, married.

The interrogation stated at 3.30 a.m.

* * *

After having completed my training in the Trawniki camp, I
was given the rank of “wachman”. I remained in the Trawniki
camp from October-November 1941 to March 1942 and then,
together with ten other wachmans, we were sent to the small
town of Zamoscie, where we guarded the property of a
colonel. After a month we returned to the Trawniki camp, but
of the four companies of guards, nobody was left except the
servicing personnel. As I learned later, part of the guards
had been sent to the Treblinka concentration camp and the
rest to the Belsec and Lublin camps.

After some time I was also sent to the Lublin camp where a
team of guards (wachman) was being collected. After about
five days some 50 men were assembled and we went to Warsaw
where we took on guard duty for an entire train, the cars of
which contained Jews: men, women and children. . . . Our
team was headed by a certain Komarkin, the first name and
patronymic of whom I do not know, but he spoke Polish well.
We brought the train with the Jews to [**84] the Treblinka
camp, which was situated near the station of Treblinka on
Polish territory. A one-track railroad extended from the
railroad station to the camp.

Some of the train’s cars were driven into the territory of
the camp and part remained at the station. When we arrived
to the camp, other guards were already in the cordon and
these began to receive the Jews we have brought. From this
day I started my service in the Treblinka camp. This camp
was created by the Germans with the express purpose of
destroying citizens of Jewish nationality.

I saw that trains carrying citizens of Jewish nationality:
men, women, children, old men and women arrived regularly at
the camp. These citizens were driven into a special barrack,
where they removed all their clothing and threw their
valuables into specially placed suitcases. Then they were
chased naked to the gas chambers through special passages
made of barbed wire covered with pine branches. Pipes
carrying exhaust gas from running diesel motors were
installed in the gas chambers and the people inside
perished. The dead were then thrown into special pits and
later burnt on pyres.

This work was performed by special teams composed of
individuals [**85] of Jewish nationality. In this camp
there was also a so-called “infirmary” which was situated
near the barrack where the people arriving undressed and not
far from the unloading area. The infirmary was in appearance
an area fenced in by barbed wire which was camouflaged with
branches. In this area there was a pit; there were no other
constructions on the territory of the infirmary. Those among
the newly arrived were placed in the infirmary who could not
reach by themselves the barracks in which they undressed and
gave away their valuables. The principal worker in the
infirmary was a man by the last name of Rebeka, I do not
know his first name and patronymic; he resembled a Jew.

This was the man who exterminated in the infirmary the
citizens who were ailing and could not walk without help.
Rebeka sometimes boasted that he worked so hard that the
barrel of his sub-machine gun had become red. I did not
participate personally in the shooting of the Jews brought
in, but was only in the cordon, took part in the unloading
of the Jews from the train cars, and mostly, together with
the team, prepared pine and fir branches that camouflaged
the barbed wires, a single line of which extended [**86]
around the entire camp, and the wire of which were made the
passages leading from the barracks to the gas chambers. The
barbed wire around the so-called infirmary was similarly
camouflaged with branches.

I remained in the Treblinka camp at least three or four
months and saw that at least one trainload of citizens of
Jewish nationality arrived there every day and were then
exterminated in the gas
chambers and in the infirmary. During this time many Jews
died there, but I cannot state the exact number. There were
cases when the Jews brought to the camp for extermination
made armed resistance: shot from pistols or threw grenades.
There was no rioting among the prisoners during my time of
service in the Treblinka camp. I heard that some sort of
revolt had taken place, but at that time I was no longer
employed in the camp.

* * *

I met guard Fedorenko, I do not recall his first name and
his patronymic, in the Trawniki as well as in the Treblinka
camps. I met him only seldom, because he served in another
platoon. I remember well his person and therefore can
identify him on a photograph. In the Trawniki camp Fedorenko
was also trained to be a guard (wachman) and wore a special
“SS” uniform. [**87] After he had completed his training
in the Trawniki camp, Fedorenko was given the title of
wachman (guard). Each wachman was given 10 marks per month
for tobacco. I cannot easily say how Fedorenko came to be in
the Trawniki camp undergoing training for the duties of a
wachman, because I did not speak with him about this. I did
not meet Fedorenko in the Chelm camp and therefore I cannot
say from which camp precisely he was sent to be trained in
the Trawniki camp.

I also met Fedorenko in the Treblinka camp, but I cannot at
present remember if he was employed in this camp or brought
there [sic] Jewish citizens for extermination. I remember
Fedorenko only with the rank of wachman, and I do not know
whether he was promoted to higher ranks and what was the
attitude of the German authorities toward him. I find it
difficult to say whether Fedorenko participated in the
extermination of citizens of Jewish nationality in the
Treblinka camp because I was not present at this. After the
Treblinka camp in 1943 I did not meet Fedorenko again and
his subsequent fate is unknown to me.

When the prisoners were brought to the Treblinka camp,
the trains were unloaded by Germans and guards with the rank
[**88] of oberwachman, zugwachman who chased the prisoners
from the cars with whips and pistols, beat them and shot at
them. I hesitate to say whether Fedorenko participated or
not in such actions, because I did not see this. I also did
not see Fedorenko shoot
down prisoners in the barracks or near the gas chambers.

When the trains carrying the Jews arrived, the guards were
usually in cordon formation, and the
Jews were escorted to the barracks by Germans, while the
Jews were exterminated by the working teams under the
supervision of Germans. Near the diesel engines by the gas
chambers there worked a guard (wachman) by the name of
Marchenko, Nikolay, and wachman Rebeka worked in the so-
called “infirmary”. I remember that Marchenko wore a leather
jacket and carried a pistol. These two guards did
exterminate prisoners, who else among the guards took part
in the
extermination of prisoners I find difficult to say. When one
of the prisoners on the unloading area threw a grenade, one
of the guards was killed. The other guards standing in
cordon formation immediately retaliated against the
prisoners who had thrown the grenade, that is they shot them
then and there.

Who of the guards participated [**89] in this action and
was Fedorenko among them I do
not know. The guards with the rank of oberwachman,
zugwachman, and rotenwachman were closer to the Germans,
they participated in the unloading of the Jews from the
traincars, and in doing so they threw people out of the
train cars and shot some of them right there. Together with
the Germans they also escorted the prisoners to the barrack
where these removed their clothes and handed over their
valuables. I cannot personally say how many prisoners were
exterminated daily in the camp, but the camp had no
facilities to accomodate [sic] the prisoners. All the
prisoners who arrived were exterminated on the day of
arrival in the gas chambers. The bodies were thrown into
pits and later burned. At least a trainload of people
arrived everyday, but how many doomed persons it contained I
find it difficult to say.

* * *

Interrogation was conducted by

Senior Investigator of the Procuratorate of

the Zaporozh’ye Region, Senior Councillor

of Justice

Ya. V. Litvinenko.

Newsgroups: alt.revisionism
Subject: Demjanjuk Case – U.S. Court of Appeals (13 of 17)
Followup-To: alt.revisionism
Organization: The Nizkor Project
Keywords: Sobibor,Treblinka,Demjanjuk