The Heritage Front Affair
Both the
Heritage Front and the anti-racist leadership agreed on one
thing: their market for recruits was the disaffected young. The first
indication in CSIS files of actions involving high schools is a
reference in June 1990 to
Wolfgang Droege telling Grant Bristow about
plans to distribute leaflets at a school. He also talked about
"spray painting and vandalism operations" to respond to actions by
anti-racists.
By late 1992, the
Heritage Front began recruiting in earnest.
According to one account:
"
Heritage Front members leafleted and visited dozens of high
schools in Southern Ontario, seeking to tap the frustrations of
kids who faced dismal job prospects and were willing to blame
it all on immigrants and non-whites".[l3]
Recruiting at high schools led the
Heritage Front into direct conflict
with the ARA, and with High School staff. The ARA started holding
meetings at high schools, and putting their positions forward.
Both sides then started targeting students who were members of their
opponent's organization.
We learned that to discredit the anti-racists, Bristow advised
Droege
that he had contacted the principal of Riverdale Collegiate and asked
why he had allowed a paedophile to enter the school premises and speak
to children. Bristow claimed the principal had been in tears.
In August 1994, after Bristow was alleged to be a CSIS source by the
media,
Droege provided his version of Bristow's contact with Riverdale
Collegiate to another reporter. He alleged that Bristow stated 'we are
going to make sure that they will never have another meeting at any of
the schools in Toronto.'
Droege explained that Bristow had identified
someone as being a child molester and he informed the principal and the
School Board Trustees that some convicted paedophiles were affiliated
(with ARA). Bristow then threatened to make this information public if
they (principal and school trustees) persisted in allowing ARA to hold
meetings.
The Review Committee spoke to the Principal, at the time, of Riverdale
Collegiate. He said that he had not received any calls from any Heritage
Front member, and that no school staff member had told him of receiving
any such calls.[14]
According to the Source, quite a few people were calling schools.
Droege
was reported as having called the Ministry of Education as well as
schools. The Source said that he told Droege that he had talked to such
Board officials, but actually, he had not. The handler said that he
believed that the Source was not involved in this type of activity.[15]
The
original plaintext version
of this file is available via
ftp.
[
Previous |
SIRC Heritage Front Index |
Next
]
Home ·
Site Map ·
What's New? ·
Search
Nizkor
© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012
This site is intended for educational purposes to teach about the Holocaust and
to combat hatred.
Any statements or excerpts found on this site are for educational purposes only.
As part of these educational purposes, Nizkor may
include on this website materials, such as excerpts from the writings of racists and antisemites. Far from approving these writings, Nizkor condemns them and
provides them so that its readers can learn the nature and extent of hate and antisemitic discourse. Nizkor urges the readers of these pages to condemn racist
and hate speech in all of its forms and manifestations.
Report to the Solicitor General of Canada
Security Intelligence Review Committee
December 9, 1994
5.5 Recruitinq at High Schools