1. Warren E. Kalbach and Wayne W. McVey, The Demographic Bases of Canadian Society, 2nd edition (Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1979), at 46, Table 2:1.
2. John Porter, The Vertical Mosaic (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1965), at 61.
3. Strategic Planning and Research Branch, Employment and Immigration Canada, 1992 Executive Reference File: Overview of Immigration (1993), at 5.
4. Strategic Planning and Research Branch, Employment and Immigration Canada, "MEDS Projections for 1991," cited in Derrick Thomas, The Foreign Born in the Federal Prison Population (Ottawa: Employment and Immigration Canada, 1991), at 14.
5. Strategic Planning and Research Branch, Employment and Immigration Canada, "Projections of the Proportion of Non- aboriginal Visibles in the Population under Various Immigration Scenarios" (n.d.); and "Population Projections of Ethnic Groups in Canada to the Year 2016" (Ottawa: Teega Research Group, 1991).
6. Jacques Henripin and Denis Morissette, Evolution Des Groupes Ethniques Non Europeens a Montreal, Toronto et Vancouver, 1971-2011 (Montreal: Centre International de Criminologie Comparee, 1993).
7. Harold Isaacs, Idols of the Tribe: Group Identity and Political Change (Harper and Row, 1977).
8. Nathan Glazer and Daniel P. Moynihan, Beyond the Melting Pot (M.I.T. Press, 1963).
9. Multiculturalism and Citizenship Canada, The Canadian Multiculturalism Act: A Guide For Canadians (Ottawa, 1990).
10. Evelyn Kallan, "Multiculturalism: Ideology, Policy and Reality," Journal of Canadian Studies, 17 (1982).
11. The Reid Report, "Racism and the Toronto Riot," 7(6) (1992); The Reid Report, "Law Enforcement and Race Relations in Canada," 7(7) (1992); The Reid Report, "Tolerance and the Canadian Mosaic," 8(4) (1993); and "Attitudes About Multiculturalism and Citizenship, 1991 -- Highlights," survey conducted by the Angus Reid Group for Multiculturalism and Citizenship Canada (1992), at 2.
12. The Reid Report, "Racism and the Toronto Riot".
13. Communications and Consultation Branch, Department of Justice Canada, "Multiculturalism and the Justice System: A Media Analysis" (1993), at 4-6.
14. Michel LeBaron Duryea and J. Bruce Grundison, Conflict and Culture: Research in Five Communities in Vancouver, British Columbia (Victoria, B.C.: University of Victoria Institute For Dispute Resolution, 1993), at xvi.
15. The Reid Report, "Law Enforcement and Race Relations in Canada".
17. An Act for the Preservation and Enhancement of Multiculturalism in Canada, S.C. 1988, c.31.
18.Minister of Supply and Services, The Canadian Multiculturalism Act: A Guide for Canadians (Ottawa, 1990).
19. Address given by the Honourable Kim Campbell, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada Law Courts Education Society of B.C., Vancouver, B.C., June 26, 1992.
20. File, Gaps in Obtaining Justice identifies what the authors term a "security of the person" gap which refers in large measure to an expressed dissatisfaction by representatives of minority groups with the effectiveness of the protection of human rights and dissatisfaction with access to and the functioning of the human rights system. See also Brian Etherington, Review of Multiculturalism and Justice Issues: A Framework for Addressing Reform (Ottawa: Department of Justice Canada, 1994).
21. Law Reform Commission of Canada, Minister's Reference: Aboriginal Peoples and Criminal Justice, Report 34, (Ottawa, 1991).
22. The complete list of preliminary Law Reform Commission of Canada papers on multiculturalism and justice is in Appendix A.
23 Etherington, Review of Multiculturalism.
24. File, Gaps in Obtaining Justcce.
25. David Pomerant, Multiculturalism, Representation and the Jury Selection Process in Canadian Criminal Cases (Ottawa: Department of Justice Canada, 1994).
26. Glenn Gilmour, Hate-motivated Violence (Ottawa: Department of Justice Canada, 1994).
27. Errol Mendes (Centre for Human Rights Education and Research, University of Ottawa), Complaint and Redress Mechanisms Relating to Racial Discrimination in Canada and Abroad (Ottawa: Department of Justice Canada, 1994).
28. The Reid Report.
29. Etherington, Review of Multiculturalism.
31. File, Gaps in Obtaining Justice.
32. A list of recent Department of Justice Canada reports on multiculturalism research is attached in Appendix B.
The original plaintext version of this file is available via ftp.
Site Map ·
What's New? ·
© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012
Home · Site Map · What's New? · Search Nizkor