Nazi Conspiracy & Aggression
Volume II, Chapter XVI
Franz Von Papen
- Part 1
- A. Positions Held By Von Papen.
- Part 2
- B. As Ex-Reich Chancellor And Prominent Political Leader, Von
Papen Used His Personal Influence To Promote The Accession Of The
Nazis To Power.
- B.(1) When von Papen began these efforts he was well aware of the
Nazi program and Nazi methods.
- Part 3
- Part 4
- Part 5
- B.(2) Despite his appreciation of the Nazi menace, von Papen
rigorously proceeded to conduct negotiations which resulted in placing
Hitler and the Nazi regime in power.
- Part 6
- C. As Vice-Chancellor, Von Papen Used His Position And Peronsal
Influence To Facilitate The Consolidation Of Nazi Control Over
- C.(1) In the first critiacal year and a half of Nazi consolidation
of control over Germany, von Papen was second only to Hitler in the
Cabinet which established the legal basis for furtherance of the Nazi
- C.(2) Von Papen actively participated in the general abolition of
civil liberties by promoting legislation which paved the way for the
Nazi police state.
- C.(3) Von Papen actively participated in substitution of the Nazi
Cabinet for the Reichstag as Germany's supreme law-giving authority,
notwithstanding his doubts as to the advisability of giving Hitler
such extensive power.
- Part 7
- C.(4) Von Papen not only participated in the seizure by the
cabinet of supreme power for the Nazis, but as a member of the
cabinet participated in the systematic elimination of all potential
enemies of the Nazi conspiracy.
- Part 8
- C.(5) To complete its suppression of all rival
influences, the Cabinet of which von Papen was a member enacted a
series of decrees which strengthened the Nazi movement by conferring
upon it a para-governmental status.
- C.(6) Despite disagreements as to detail, von Papen fundamentally
agreed with basic Nazi objectives and publicly endorsed the regime for
which he shared responsibilityas Vice Chancellor.
- Part 9
- D. As Germany's Most Famous Catholic Layman And As Negotiator Of
The Vatican Concordat, Von Papen Used His Position And Personal
Influence To Participate In The Consolidation Of Nazi Control Over
Germany And In Nazi Preparation For Aggression.
- D.(1) Immediately upon Nazi seizure of Power within Germany, von
Papen endeavored to weld German Catholicism into a powerful body of
support for the Nazi state.
- Part 10
- D.(2) Having achieved initial successes in consolidating Catholic
support within Germany, von Papen undertook international
consolidation of Nazi-Church relationships by negotiation of a
Concordat with the Vatican.
- Part 11
- D.(3) The signing of the Concordat was only an interlude in the
church policy of the Nazi Conspirators, which was a policy of
reassurances and repression.
- Part 12
- E. As Envoy At Vienna, Von Papen Used His Position And Influence
Deliberately To Weaken The Austrian Government, And Participated In
The Political Planning And Preparation For Military Aggression Against
- E.(1) Von Papen accepted appointment as envoy at Vienna knowing
he would 'front' for a Nazi fifth column in Austria.
- Part 13
- E.(2) Von Papen proceeded forthwith to accomplish his mission-the
maintenance of an outward appearance of non-intervention while keeping
appropriate contacts useful in the eventual overthrow of the Austrian
- Part 14
- E.(3) Conclusion of the Agreement of 11 July 1936 merely
constituted another step towards Anschluss.
- Part 15
- Legal References And List Of Documents Relating To Franz Von Papen
Site Map ·
What's New? ·
© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012
This site is intended for educational purposes to teach about the Holocaust and
to combat hatred.
Any statements or excerpts found on this site are for educational purposes only.
As part of these educational purposes, Nizkor may
include on this website materials, such as excerpts from the writings of racists and antisemites. Far from approving these writings, Nizkor condemns them and
provides them so that its readers can learn the nature and extent of hate and antisemitic discourse. Nizkor urges the readers of these pages to condemn racist
and hate speech in all of its forms and manifestations.