Archive/File: fascism sachsenhausen Last-modified: 1993/08/29 May be reproduced in hard copy only with credit to United Press International. Sunday 29-Aug-93 10:48 AM Swastikas desecrate Sachsenhausen concentration camp memorial By LEON MANGASARIAN BERLIN (UPI) _ Suspected neo-Nazis chiseled swastikas into a memorial at the former Sachsenhausen concentration camp, just before a German- Jewish leader was due to deliver a speech there, authorities said Sunday. Two men were arrested by police as they cut swastikas into a stone monument at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp north of Berlin, preserved as a memorial to victims of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich, authorities at the memorial said. The suspected neo-Nazis, aged 19 and 20, were released after questioning, a police spokesman said. The attack came just hours before the head of Germany's 41,000-strong Jewish community, Ignatz Bubis, gave a speech at Sachsenahusen to commemorate the opening of an exhibition on how Denmark rescued Danish- Jews from the [NAZI] persecution. Bubis warned in his speech of the rising number of attacks on foreigners in Germany and said Germans were in danger of ``getting used'' to racist attacks and right-wing extremist slogans. ``It is dangerous to say the current situation is only due to the economic and social grievances,'' Bubis said. Bubis said Danes, who saved all but 481 of the country's more than 7, 000 Danish-Jews by hiding them from the Gestapo and then ferrying them aboard fishing boats to safety in Sweden, were a great example of moral courage against violence. The exhibition, which also opened Sunday in Copenhagen, will travel to 20 sites in eight countries including the United States, Canada, and Israel. Sachsenhausen's memorials have come under repeated attack by neo- [NAZIS] in recent years. In the worst incident, arson totally destroyed a museum housed in the camp's former Jewish barrack in September 1992. Two neo-Nazi skinheads have been charged with setting the blaze. About 100,000 people were murdered by the [NAZIS] at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp between 1938 and 1945. In other weekend rightist violence, police stormed a gathering of neo-Nazis skinheads in the eastern German town of Hennigsdorf, a few miles from Sachsenhausen. A police spokesman said the 20 to 30 youths who were shouting ``Heil Hitler'' and other [NAZI] slogans at an outdoor party refused an order to disperse and that officers broke up the gathering. Eight skinheads who resisted police were briefly detained, the spokesman said. Meanwhile, Germany's interior minister, Manfred Kanther, said he was considering banning further rightist groups. ``Bans are a thoroughly suitable means if they seriously hit (these) organizations,'' said Kanther in an interview with the newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung. Three rightist political parties were banned by Kanther's predecessor last December. But the banning of rightist groups remains controversial among those seeking to fight the rightist revival in Germany. The influential news weekly Der Spiegel recently argued that last December's banning of the three parties _ the German Alternative, the Nationalist Front and the National Offensive _ has driven together ex- members of what used to be three competing movements. Rightists killed 17 people in Germany last year and have slain at least nine people so far this year. A report issued last week by Germany's Office for the Protection of the Constitution said rightist violence increased from 1,438 reported cases in 1991 to 2,584 cases in 1992 _ an increase of 74 percent.
Site Map ·
What's New? ·
© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012
Home · Site Map · What's New? · Search Nizkor