Archive/File: pub/camps/sachsenhausen/press/1992-vandalism Last-Modified: 1995/08/10 POTSDAM, Germany (AP) -- Two right-wing militants went on trial Thursday for a second time on charges of burning down part of a Jewish museum at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp memorial. The Sept. 26, 1992, fire came at a peak of right-wing violence in Germany and sparked candlelight processions by thousands of concerned Germans. Tougher laws and police presence has reduced the violence, but foreigners are still frequently attacked and Jewish cemeteries and memorials often vandalized. Ingo Kehn, an unemployed 22-year-old, and Thomas Haberland, a 24-year-old railroad worker, are accused of burning the camp's last intact barracks, where an exhibit on Sachsenhausen had been installed just weeks earlier. About 100,000 people, half of them Jews, died in the Nazi camp outside Berlin during World War II. The two men were acquitted at their first trial in October 1993 on grounds of insufficient evidence, but the federal appeals court found Judge Klaus Przybilla's reasoning faulty and ordered a new trial. They confessed shortly after their arrests, saying they drove to Sachsenhausen with a group of 15 skinheads, poured gasoline into four bottles and hurled them at the barracks. But during the trial they withdrew their confessions. Kehn, whom a court psychologist described as feebleminded, gave four other versions of how he spent the night of the fire. As the trial opened Thursday, both maintained their innocence. Kehn said he was with his girlfriend that night, and Haberland said he had confessed under police coercion.
Site Map ·
What's New? ·
© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012
Home · Site Map · What's New? · Search Nizkor