The Nizkor Project: Remembering the Holocaust (Shoah)

Shofar FTP Archive File: people/s/schmid.kevin/email/cor-4-email.txt


Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 19:29:28 -0400
To: bewise@pixi.com (Kevin Schmid)
From: jamie@voyager.net (Jamie McCarthy)
Subject: Re: Open Letter to the Webmaster(s) of the BeWise Web Site
Cc: 
Bcc: 
X-Attachments: 

Sorry;  I sent my email earlier today when it was half-done.  I apologize
for that, it was due to technical problems I'm having.  Here's my reply,
this time without dangling half-completed sentences:


> ...ironically, the only things that we had ready to post up there
> was from SAMISDAT. I say "ironically" because it is probably the only
> source that we haven't yet had the time to *fully* check out ...

"Fully"?

Can you give me an example or two of something of Samisdat's claims
that you _have_ checked out?  I'm quite curious as to what research
you've done on these matters.

> Please allow us to more fully respond to this and your first post
> when we can get a spare few minutes :)!!

You are welcome to take as much time as you see fit, of course.

If you decide not to scrap the "revisionist" section of your web
site, I can provide you with a number of other examples of falsehoods
in the material from Samisdat -- let me know when you'd be interested
in hearing these examples.  I can give you a half-dozen corrections
of falsehoods off the bat, though if you want explicit references
(and I imagine you will), it'll take me a little while to gather them
together.

It sounds like you're rather busy at the moment, though (and that's
OK), so I'll hold off for now.

> After going back and re-reading this quote it does seem a bit
> fantastic even for us that he would have said half of 20,000
> (10,000). However, might I point out that he still claimed "some" ...
> were unreliable.

And I should point out that, therefore, there are twenty thousand
minus "some" testimonies that _are_ reliable.  Even if he _had_ been
accurately quoted about the 10,000 unreliable testimonies, that
leaves 10,000 _reliable_ ones.

Also, think about how reliable we should expect 20,000 testimonies to
be.  Out of tens of thousands, should we not expect "some", indeed
_many_, to be "unreliable"? I would be quite surprised if one hundred
percent of the testimonies they have could be totally relied on to be
accurate -- wouldn't you?  What would you say if Shmuel Krakowski,
the director of Yad Vashem, had stated that _every single one_ of the
20,000 testimonies was "reliable"?  I think _that_ would probably be
a falsehood, and I think Samisdat Publishing would point to _that_ as
evidence that something sneaky was going on.

I think Krakowshi couldn't win either way, as far as Samisdat
Publishers are concerned.

> Have you approached SAMISDAT about your information?  From what we
> have seen they seem very open to dialogue.

No, I have not approached Samisdat.  Have you had contact with anyone
there?  May I write to your contact and mention that you had
suggested getting in touch with them?

I would be quite happy to point out errors in their material, if they
would listen to me.  My hunch is that they would not listen. 
However, if you think there's even a small chance that they would
consider what I have to say, and especially if you can give me
someone to write to and permission to mention that you sent me, I
will indeed write them.

By the way, note that (1) as I mentioned in my original email, I'm
posting our correspondence publicly, and the URL is
; (2) my
responses may be a bit slow -- I'm not only busy, I'm also having
difficulties connecting to my service provider on a regular basis. 
Just to let you know, in case you were wondering why my responses are
late.


Home ·  Site Map ·  What's New? ·  Search Nizkor

© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012

This site is intended for educational purposes to teach about the Holocaust and to combat hatred. Any statements or excerpts found on this site are for educational purposes only.

As part of these educational purposes, Nizkor may include on this website materials, such as excerpts from the writings of racists and antisemites. Far from approving these writings, Nizkor condemns them and provides them so that its readers can learn the nature and extent of hate and antisemitic discourse. Nizkor urges the readers of these pages to condemn racist and hate speech in all of its forms and manifestations.