The Nizkor Project: Remembering the Holocaust (Shoah)

Shofar FTP Archive File: people/nyms/charles/1996/retraction-re-phoney-data


From joebuck@ix.netcom.com Fri Oct 25 09:00:59 PDT 1996
Article: 76854 of alt.revisionism
Path: nizkor.almanac.bc.ca!news.island.net!news.bctel.net!noc.van.hookup.net!nic.mtl.hookup.net!rcogate.rco.qc.ca!n3ott.istar!ott.istar!istar.net!tor.istar!east.istar!news.nstn.ca!coranto.ucs.mun.ca!news.unb.ca!news.uoregon.edu!news-peer.gsl.net!news.gsl.net!howland.erols.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!news.webspan.net!ix.netcom.com!news
From: joebuck@ix.netcom.com
Newsgroups: alt.conspiracy,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.fan.newt-gingrich,alt.politics.radical-left,alt.politics.perot,alt.revisionism
Subject: Re: Joebuck can't argue
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 02:31:44 GMT
Organization: Netcom
Lines: 84
Message-ID: <54p9ch$i25@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>
References: <54ntkl$3sc@zap.io.org>
NNTP-Posting-Host: irv-ca14-02.ix.netcom.com
X-NETCOM-Date: Thu Oct 24  9:41:21 PM CDT 1996
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82
Xref: nizkor.almanac.bc.ca alt.conspiracy:103220 alt.politics.usa.republican:313017 alt.fan.rush-limbaugh:398840 alt.politics.radical-left:128523 alt.politics.perot:60901 alt.revisionism:76854

kamamer@zap.io.org (karl mamer) wrote:

>joebuck@ix.netcom.com writes:
>> hkilpatr@osf1.gmu.edu (HENRY E. KILPATRICK JR.) wrote:
>> 
>> >If adding the kosher certification increases the market for a company's
>> >products, which it obviously does, the costs are likely to be less due to
>> >economies of scale and scope. 
>> 
>>   That reminds me of the dolts who, sharing your mindset, said, after
>> Hurricane Andrew devastated much of Florida a few years ago, "Well, at
>> least it'll [the storm] create lots of jobs!"
>>   Based on THAT imbecilic thinking, Floridians should wish for
>> *weekly* major hurricanes -- after all, they'll be LOTS of work for
>> everyone after they hit! :-)
>>   And going by your genuinely ignorant illogic, Junior, members of all
>> racial/religious groups should plead with their leaders/ministers to
>> demand  that *they*, too, be paid to "certify" consumer items -- after
>> all, as you claim above, "the costs will be likely to be less due to
>> economies of scale and scope"! 
>>   ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-0

>Again, Joebuck ignores economic facts and tosses out a red herring.
>Demonstrating for all that 1) he simply can't put together
>a logical argument 2) can't argue against the economies of
>scale argument.

>Let's review, Joebuck.

>1) It has been demonstrated to you that, in the case of kosher
>Planters peanuts, kosher labelling added, perhaps, .0002 cents per 
>pound. The figure was arrived at by a manager of peanut factory.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Actually, if you recall, the purportedly-retired "manager of a
peanut factory" turned out to be one David Braun -- a young college
student at the U of Washington.
  He claimed to be a retired Planters manager: NOT TRUE.
  He claimed not to be Jewish: NOT TRUE.
  Based on the above, I'll let the other readers of his thread decide
if they think I should accept Mr. Braun's self-serving
arguments/information -- all based, it turns out, on falsehoods.

>2) It has been demonstrated to you that there are many
>products that are cheaper with kosher labels than
>similar products without.

  This is undoubtedly true. See, we agree!
  However -- and as an intelligent person you *must* realize -- this
does not in the least mean that kosher "certification" doesn't add
measureable costs to food (and, it appears, tin foil) prices.
  There may very well be OTHER reasons why a particular
kosher-certified product may, in rare instances, be less-expensive
than the non-kosher-certified variety. 
  For example, perhaps the kosher-certified variety was manufactured
overseas under slave-labor conditions. It might've actually been even
LESS expensive had it not been certified as "kosher."

> For example, I bought a 2 l
>bottle of pop for 79 cents with kosher labelling.
>A similar bottle without the kosher labelling was 99 cents.

  Again, it undoubtedly would've been even even cheaper if it had not
been kosher-certified -- for a pretty hefty fee, I might add -- by one
of those profit-driven kosher-certification companies.

>3) You swore that Canadian economists estimated the average
>"goy" family paid an extra $300 a year because of
>Kosher labelling. You stated, in no uncertain terms,
>that you would produce the names of these economists.

  Although I never said, "in no uncertain terms, that I'd "produce the
names of these economists," I did say I'd *try* to get the references
at the library.
  However, I nonetheless admit that your point is well-taken, since I
haven't, in fact, come up with the references to back up the claim
that kosher certification costs the typical Canadian family about $300
per year. Thus, since I'm not able to support the claim with such
references, I hereby retract it.  
 [Now, would somebody hand me some paper towels? It's not easy wiping
all this egg off my face . . .]  






Home ·  Site Map ·  What's New? ·  Search Nizkor

© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012

This site is intended for educational purposes to teach about the Holocaust and to combat hatred. Any statements or excerpts found on this site are for educational purposes only.

As part of these educational purposes, Nizkor may include on this website materials, such as excerpts from the writings of racists and antisemites. Far from approving these writings, Nizkor condemns them and provides them so that its readers can learn the nature and extent of hate and antisemitic discourse. Nizkor urges the readers of these pages to condemn racist and hate speech in all of its forms and manifestations.